by Sandra Radja
“Sperm can be transformed into neuro-electricity so that a person receives intelligence. For that reason, if you observe celibacy for one month, your brain is charged with supreme intelligence. A person engaging in sex 10 times in a week depletes his body fluids, throws away his energy, reduces his memory, intelligence, and ability to concentrate.” Dr Lad, textbook on Ayurveda
It would be a hard decision to make if, everything being equal whilst “in the moment”, you are seriously considering whether you want higher intelligence or the mind blowing stress reducing explosion that an orgasm can be. I’m guessing the latter wins. The head and the genitals rarely work as complementary intelligence forces.
But let’s take this personally, as we like to do in Ayurveda. When considering sex as an activity Dr Lad claims booty-intention as either ojas enhancing or depleting. Basically if you’re in love, then you’re probably going to feel rejuvenated from the experience and build ojas. If you’re just scratching an itch, then you’re on the road to depletion. Another factor to consider is the idea of suppression, which throws the whole idea in the loop. Suppression of desires causes Vata vitiation.
Then there is the season. A Vata person (prakruti/vikruti) should have sex, according to the scriptures, once a month in the Autumn. A Kapha person (prakruti/vikruti) can be stimulated daily and most especially in the Spring.
Now. Are you thinking about the constitution of your partner? Sucks being attracted to the opposite dosha, no? (they REALLY need to teach this stuff at schools) Dr Svoboda, in his book, Prakruti, does mention that aligning with a dosha kind of similar to yours is going to be the easiest relationship to manage. And in the sex department, you can see why. He also cites the different ways the doshas consider sex -
- Vata like to imagine all sorts of crazy wild things and they may not have the energy to do them. Or if they still proceed they deplete the ojas the easiest. They can also tend toward sex as an addiction.
- Pitta are your hot blooded type of lover. Full of passion and heat. They have a moderate amount of stamina, may get bossy and to an imbalanced extreme violent.
- Kapha takes awhile to warm up, but when they do….lock the doors for the weekend!! They are the cuddlers and lovers and can get quite mushy, trying to make the other person happy. Out of balance they may tend toward possessiveness.
So as usual it’s all about finding your own balance first and foremost. Know what works and what is depleting to you. Since we live in a madcap kind of world, most folks would have Vata vitiation as their key drama. So here is a recipe to build your ojas post coitus. Put an umbrella in it for a special occasion.
A drink for 2~
- 4 medjool dates soaked overnight
- 20 almonds soaked overnight and skins peeled
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- A pinch of black pepper
- 1 tspn of ghee
- A pinch of saffron for extra indulgence
Blend until smooth and drink!
Oh and here is a little fun from the Kama Sutra I have been reading of late.
“If a man rubs his lingam with a mixture of the powder of cactus, black pepper and honey, and then indulges in sexual intercourse, his partner will submit completely to his will and will never desire union with another.”
Enjoy yourself, don’t spoil yourself. ;)